Create a Customer Avatar
My prototypical customer is named Brett. Brett is a 3rd year Investment Banker in his late 20's who works in the heart of the financial district in Atlanta. He drives a 5 series BMW and leaves for work every morning at 7:00 AM. His favorite TV shows are Shark Tank and criminal minds. He enjoys going out on his boat during the weekends with his bros. He is happily single and is working on himself till he decides to settle down with one girl. Brett is always hyper and loves living his life at a fast pace. Unfortunately, his biggest pet peeve is not being able to grab a coffee and a bagel on his way to the office in the mornings because 8:00 AM traffic only allows him to get to the office right in time without a second to spare. He really needs an alternate route to get to work each morning when rush hour traffic occurs so he can arrive at work on time with a stomach full of bagels and donuts.
What I happen to have in common with Brett is I do as well want to get into Investment Banking and Finance. I also dream about owning a BMW sports car and living either directly outside or within the cities limits. I do not think this is a coincidence because the opportunity and problem I choose to go after and fix is something I could see myself relating too down the line in my career. This is how I noticed the problem in the first place. I do not believe you can truly capitalize off an opportunity and make people's lives easier if you do not have passion or expertise in the industry to begin with. You have to show people that you've walked a mile in their shoes if you want them to believe that your product or service is the way to go.
Chris,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your story about Brett, I could easily see how he would have the need for your product. He seems as though he would be able to afford the extra fee for this service because of his high paying job. Have you considered selling B2B, so that companies could offer their employees this offer "for free" as an incentive to make them want to work for them (even if they live far)?